Pre vs. Post SNS HDR processing

If you found a bug, please tell us about it.
Jeżeli znalazłeś błąd, poinformuj nas o tym.

Pre vs. Post SNS HDR processing

Postby markdfink » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:12 pm

Hi,

I do a lot of stitching with PTGui, both for VR and mosaic images for print. Sometimes, my mosaics are far too large for SNS HDR to handle with the amount of memory that I have. So, last night, I did a test.

1. I stitched a reduced size image in PTGui, outputting the Blend Planes, that is, one TIFF file for each exposure level.
2. I brought those images into SNS HDR and adjusted the parameters to get what I wanted.
3. I saved those parameters as a new preset.
4. I returned to the original unstitched files and manually applied the new preset to each one, giving me four new source images with SNS HDR already applied.
5. I brought those new source images into my existing PTGui project so that it would stitch identically and created a new image the same size as in #1.
6. I opened both images in Photoshop and layered them on top of each other, setting the blend mode of the top layer to Difference.

I expected to see no difference between the two, but there was a noticeable difference. Actually, I could see it just looking at the images side by side, but the Difference layer shows it more clearly. I've attached a screen shot of that.

Am I wrong in thinking that using the same preset in SNS HDR either before on the source images, or after on the stitched images, should yield the same results?

Thanks,

Mark
Attachments
ScreenShot.jpg
Image with two layers. Top layer has Difference blend mode.
ScreenShot.jpg (39.08 KiB) Viewed 4670 times
markdfink

Re: Pre vs. Post SNS HDR processing

Postby Sebastian Nibisz » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:20 pm

markdfink wrote:Am I wrong in thinking that using the same preset in SNS HDR either before on the source images, or after on the stitched images, should yield the same results?

The results will not be identical but will be very similar.
Sebastian Nibisz
Site Admin

Return to Bug Reports / Zgłaszanie błędów