Colour shifts to horrible yellow

Want to talk about SNS-HDR, or do you have suggestions, requests, or how-to questions? Post here!
Chcesz porozmawiać o SNS-HDR, masz sugestię, próśbę, lub jakieś pytania? Pisz tutaj!

Re: Colour shifts to horrible yellow

Postby vinz » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:47 am

You're Right Den, it think this problem come from the sunlight ... and there are no automatic way to recognize multiple neutral grey.
it need a manual correction, imo.
i thought it would be easily corrected in the hue and/or saturation panel with a good curve...

i'm pretty sure that the same hue problem should appear on every software that use "tone mapping"... perhaps "exposure fusion" could keep more natural colors unders these conditions.

personnaly, i never use auto white balance for panorama it obviously create problems when stitching, as i almost doing spherical pano, for now ;)
vinz

Postby wildtypitch » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:20 am

5% hue change is quite large given the entire spectrum lies on that scale.
Yes you should have the same White balance for every photo, or at least output tiff's from lightroom etc with the same values (in camera white balance is non destructive [shooting raw] and can be changed in the raw converter the same as in camera). I wish there were a plugin that worked for exporting to sns from lightroom, I remember trying one but there were issues saving files once imported, no .sns option or something, which bugged me.
wildtypitch

Postby wildtypitch » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:29 am

But regardless why is it important for the software to recognize neutral greys? We are just asking it to deal with data conversion and in that conversion hues are shifting (agreed in different tonal ranges) but the software ideally should not need to re-whitebalance an already whitebalanced set of photo's. Agreed that hdr is not often used in colour critical applications but I sometimes require that and software that messes within the locked colour workflow makes life unbearable. maybe I should include multiple exposures of a gretag colour chart and run the colour correction on the hdr chart after (joking!)
wildtypitch

Postby wildtypitch » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:55 am

Having gone back and tweaked around I realised that the previous post images had different colour temps which contributed to the yellowing.
In this example, with a heavily yellow theme. I show the original, on with sns processing raw's and one with lightroom providing tiff's. as we can see the lightroom raw processed tiff are pretty much spot on, the sns processed raws are way off. Any news on a working lightroom to sns plugin yet?
Attachments
snsconversion-HDR(3).jpg
HDR via sns from raw using sns raw converter
snsconversion-HDR(3).jpg (135.33 KiB) Viewed 6766 times
lightroomexport-photoshop-3-HDR(3).jpg
HDR via sns but using tiffs created by lightroom.
lightroomexport-photoshop-3-HDR(3).jpg (213.38 KiB) Viewed 6766 times
example-3.jpg
Straight expose (darkest) exported from lightroom to jpeg
example-3.jpg (205.1 KiB) Viewed 6766 times
wildtypitch

Postby den » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:18 pm

(1) When using SNS-HDR for the Raw conversion, what raw conversion color space did you use? sRGB; AdobeRGB; or ProPhotoRGB?

(2) If different from sRGB, did you remember to convert to sRGB for web image posting?

(3) What SNS-HDR tone-mapping preset was used?

Holiday commitments may preclude any further responses for a time...
den

Previous

Return to Discussion & Questions / Dyskusja i pytania