sRGB setting in sns-hdr pro

Want to talk about SNS-HDR, or do you have suggestions, requests, or how-to questions? Post here!
Chcesz porozmawiać o SNS-HDR, masz sugestię, próśbę, lub jakieś pytania? Pisz tutaj!

sRGB setting in sns-hdr pro

Postby carel » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:35 am

Very nice program!
I convert my bracketed images from RAW to 16bit sRGB tiffs before opening them in SNS-HDR. When it is time to save the HDR'd image, I get the option to save in sRGB. This is confusing, because I started out in sRGB colorspace. I compared saving with and without setting to sRGB output, but cannot see a difference. What is the correct way to deal with this? A related question is where to set the preferences to save to 16bit sRGB tifs, so this does not have to be done each time an image is saved.

Carel Struycken
carel

Re: sRGB setting in sns-hdr pro

Postby Sebastian Nibisz » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:47 am

"Convert to sRGB" option is useful when you are using a different color space.
Detection of the name of the image color space is difficult.
Sebastian Nibisz
Site Admin

Postby markdfink » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:59 am

Is this the Carel from the PanoTools list? If so, Hi from Mark, also of PanoTools.

I thought I'd pass along some information on sRGB and Adobe RGB as well as ProPhoto color spaces. Is there a particular reason why you convert to sRGB? According to this article, and from my own experience, you'll get more from the ProPhoto color space.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/prophoto-rgb.shtml

Mark
markdfink

Postby hvweissenfluh » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:39 am

Just another one who would really appreciate Prophoto and AdobeRGB as output. SNS is a great piece of software, but I find that an sRGB output only is quite limiting.
Best regards,
Hans
Hans von Weissenfluh
Commercial & 360 Photography
http://www.hvweb.net
hvweissenfluh

Postby Bart_van_der_Wolf » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:51 pm

hvweissenfluh wrote:Just another one who would really appreciate Prophoto and AdobeRGB as output. SNS is a great piece of software, but I find that an sRGB output only is quite limiting.

Hi Hans,

When you use TIFFs as input files, then SNS-HDR uses the Adobe RGB or Prophoto RGB colorspace that is assigned to those TIFFs. That also adds the flexibility to edit the input files before SNS-HDR can perform its magic.

That allows you e.g. to use files that have different Whitebalance (Kelvin and/or tint) settings as input, e.g. a warmer colorbalance for the shadow exposure to compensate for the otherwise dominating blue-cast, without the need to edit the shadows in SNS-HDR. I use that for very wide panoramas, where some of the images have frontal sunlight, and others only backlight (shadows), in the same image.

Cheers,
Bart
Bart_van_der_Wolf

Postby hvweissenfluh » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:21 am

Hi Bart,
Thanks for your suggestion. Sorry but I didn't check the forum for a long time.

I've just found out that the problem was related to my previous machine (Vista 64). Both Lite and Pro (1.4.22) versions were unable to preserve the color profile of the Tif files, so that when I opened the output in Photoshop I got sRGB instead of ProPhoto. Furthermore, in SNS, the images appeared washed out: the color profile were already discarded at that stage. Yesterday I installed both (same versions) on a new machine (Win 7 64bit) and they worked: the profiles were not stripped. Don't know why (corrupted system?), but that's it.

But there's another problem on the new machine: loading some panorama images measuring around 20.000x10.000 pixels, the process aborts when starting merging. No problem with single frames from a Nikon D800. The machine has 128 GB of RAM. That doesn't happen using the old machine (48 GB).

Any idea?

Thanks and best regards,
Hans
Hans von Weissenfluh
hvweissenfluh

Postby Bart_van_der_Wolf » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:47 pm

hvweissenfluh wrote:But there's another problem on the new machine: loading some panorama images measuring around 20.000x10.000 pixels, the process aborts when starting merging. No problem with single frames from a Nikon D800. The machine has 128 GB of RAM. That doesn't happen using the old machine (48 GB).

Any idea?

Hi Hans,

Sorry, no answer to that. I use SNS-HDR to merge the individual panorama tiles before stitching/blending. I never tried to merge multiple full panos because that takes away the control over the individual tiles.

Cheers,
Bart
Bart_van_der_Wolf

Postby hvweissenfluh » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:07 am

Thanks Bart.
I really hope that the problem will be solved in the next release.
Best Regards and Happy New Year!
Hans
Hans von Weissenfluh
hvweissenfluh

Return to Discussion & Questions / Dyskusja i pytania