SNS-HDR Pro 2.0 Beta

Want to talk about SNS-HDR, or do you have suggestions, requests, or how-to questions? Post here!
Chcesz porozmawiać o SNS-HDR, masz sugestię, próśbę, lub jakieś pytania? Pisz tutaj!

Re: SNS-HDR Pro 2.0 Beta

Postby Sebastian Nibisz » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:53 pm

staz wrote:Is there any chance that 'Series Process' (apart from 'Batch Process') would be implemented in the 2.0 version of SNS? That was a really useful feature in 1.x ; really speeding up mu workflow.

This option will be back, but I do not know when yet.
Sebastian Nibisz
Site Admin

Postby HDR_h8r » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:26 pm

Sebastian Nibisz wrote:
HDR_h8r wrote:
Is the color profile has embedded in the image?

Yes, in the case of images no.2 and no. 4.

The image has the correct colors in SNS when you save image in PS in a TIFF 16-bit format?

I've saved the same 16-bit image as a TIFF in Photoshop. One copy I tagged with the sRGB profile, the other I've saved as untagged.
Both images look IDENTICAL in SNS, the way it should be.
In the case of the tagged image, SNS recognizes the embedded profile and maps the pixels into the corresponding colorspace which is sRGB.
In the case of the untagged image, SNS does not see any associated profile and automatically assigns sRGB to it, which just happens to be the correct colorspace for the actual pixel values. That is why both images look identical. This is the expected (and correct) behavior.
I've also converted the same image into ProPhoto and saved it with the profile assigned. When I opened it in SNS, I got the tones/colors that I was expecting.
I have also saved the same ProPhoto image as untagged. When I opened it in SNS, the image looked darker than it should and the colors were off. In this case SNS assigned sRGB colors to ProPhoto pixels because there was nothing to tell it what actual colors those pixels should be. Again, this is the expected behavior.

SNS-HDR knows how to read, recognize and assign appropriate colorspaces with 16-bit files. When there is no embedded colorspace, SNS maps the pixels into sRGB (the way it should).

With 32-bit TIFFs it's a different story. If the image file HAS an embedded profile, SNS recognizes it as something else, or some other weird stuff happens but I can NEVER get the correct (or even 'acceptable') tones/colors if I save the 32-bit TIFF with an embedded profile.
Funny enough, if the pixel values belong in sRGB and there is no profile whatsoever, the colors and tones appear correctly in SNS.
However, if the 32-bit, sRGB TIFF does have an embedded profile (sRGB) the tones in SNS are way out of whack.

Maybe SNS isn't to blame. Maybe it's Photoshop's fault. I wish someone tried this on their system.
HDR_h8r

Postby Sebastian Nibisz » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:47 pm

The color profiles in the SNS-HDR are read by the ExifTool. Possible that this tool does not read correctly color profiles from TIFF 32-bit.
Sebastian Nibisz
Site Admin

Postby HDR_h8r » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:57 am

Sebastian Nibisz wrote:The color profiles in the SNS-HDR are read by the ExifTool. Possible that this tool does not read correctly color profiles from TIFF 32-bit.

Now we're getting somewhere... And as I think of it, because of the linear nature of 32-bit images, the color profiles have to be adjusted accordingly. That's why it says that it's a "Linear RGB Profile", in Photoshop". Yes, I would imagine that ExifTool does not know how to handle something like that.

So, who do I go complaining about this? I don't believe I am the only guy on the planet who brings 32-bit TIFFs to SNS. There must be others who do not like having to confine their 32-bit workflow to sRGB because of this glitch in the software.
HDR_h8r

Postby Sebastian Nibisz » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:25 am

In the next update of the SNS-HDR will be possible apply the alternate color profile.
Sebastian Nibisz
Site Admin

Postby HDR_h8r » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:05 pm

Sebastian Nibisz wrote:In the next update of the SNS-HDR will be possible apply the alternate color profile.

Wow! That'd be awesome!

I hope this will solve the issue. I just want to point out that since 32-bit images are linear by nature, the pixel values have to be mapped into a linear colorspace(s) as well.
I'm no expert on these things but if I had to guess I'd say that the problem that I'm experiencing is not just a simple profile mismatch, though, hopefully, there is an easy fix.

The day I'm able to bring to 'SNS-HDR' ProPhoto, 32-bit TIFFs I'll be a happy camper.
HDR_h8r

Postby phidias81 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:51 am

It would be nice to have the filenames of the loaded files shown in the top bar, maybe next to Sns-Hdr pro 2.0

Also I see no way no rename a preset, apart from deleting and creating a new one
phidias81

Postby Sebastian Nibisz » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:10 am

I can show the filenames on the status bar. The menu bar will be located next to the software name.
Sebastian Nibisz
Site Admin

Postby staz » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:01 pm

Sebastian Nibisz wrote:
staz wrote:Is there any chance that 'Series Process' (apart from 'Batch Process') would be implemented in the 2.0 version of SNS? That was a really useful feature in 1.x ; really speeding up mu workflow.

This option will be back, but I do not know when yet.

Thanks for the good news! Can't wait.
Also it would be great if more images could be pre-processed in the background. In version 1.x there was only one which was a bit limiting.
staz

Postby HDR_h8r » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:43 pm

phidias81 wrote:It would be nice to have the filenames of the loaded files shown in the top bar, maybe next to Sns-Hdr pro 2.0

Also I see no way no rename a preset, apart from deleting and creating a new one

I second that. Wanted to request this feature too. However, I also think that there should be a provision for exporting and importing presets. I know that it can be done from outside SNS by manipulating the files that are located in the "Presets" folder but still, it is kind of a hassle.
I use SNS only for tonemapping. I open 32-bit TIFFs and when I'm done tweaking the settings I export the 16-bit version. However, I also need to keep the preset handy somewhere. I always keep the 32-bit photos because often I want to do another kind of tonemapping, for example if I want to create a black-and-white version. By loading an old preset from a dedicated location on my HD I can have an excellent starting point for that.
My point being, it is very impractical to store hundreds or thousands of presets in the default "Presets" folder that are not even "presets" in this case but, rather "tonemapping settings" that are each unique to a specific photograph.
There should be a proper way of saving them to any user-specified location and also loading them up when needed.
An "Apply Preset" button in the toolbar would also be very useful. Sometimes I just want to apply old settings (that I've stored somewhere on the HDD), without messing up my presets (First importing the preset, then applying it and deleting it when I'm done, while potentially deleting some other preset in the process.)
Just a quick "Apply Preset" button would be great.
HDR_h8r

Previous

Return to Discussion & Questions / Dyskusja i pytania