SNS-HDR Pro 2.0 Alpha 1

Want to talk about SNS-HDR, or do you have suggestions, requests, or how-to questions? Post here!
Chcesz porozmawiać o SNS-HDR, masz sugestię, próśbę, lub jakieś pytania? Pisz tutaj!

Re: SNS-HDR Pro 2.0 Alpha 1

Postby bigsnow48 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:18 pm

Hi Sebastian, now I've found that you are using a new software ExifTool that does not support the 5Ds Raw , unfortunately this is not good for me. Solutions?
Thank you.
bigsnow48

Postby Fraenzken » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:19 pm

Hi Sebastian,

I've given the new version a quick try.

What struck me most was that the startup time is reduced to a second or so (from about 15 seconds in version 1.x). But that's not the only speed improvement: Loading of pics is much faster now; saving as well. The other steps (alignment, merging, tone mapping) seem to have been optimized as well. Overall, processing time (from loading the pics to the completed tone mapping) has been reduced by 30 percent according to my initial tests. Thanks for that!

The fine-tuning of the image is smoother as well. Once a slider is moved, the image changes immediately without any perceivable lag, giving you instant feedback SNS-HDR is better than any other photo software in this respect I've tried so far (including Capture One and Aftershot Pro). Version 1.x was no slouch in this respect, but still much laggier than 2.0. The new gui is much much better than in 1.x as well.

The results are very good so far as well. The new sharpening works great with only minimal halos. That said, there are two important points I miss at the moment:

1. noise reduction: You showed a new algorithm a while a go that looked very very good judging from the samples you posted at that time. The algorithm doesn't seem to be implemented yet.
2. Deghosting: SNS2.0Alpha doesn't cope well with moving elements (e.g. persons) in the picture. I don't see any progress in this respect from previous versions. I don't know if deghosting will be improved in the final version. I'd like to see SNS-HDR doing better there - it's certainly its weak spot.
3. Another feature I'd like to see is a straightening tool.

All in all: great work, thank you! Looking forward for things to come!
Fraenzken

Postby pethep » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Pracuje super!!
Dziekuje
Piotr
pethep

Postby Redcrown » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:14 pm

Based on limited test on 3 image sets, more later.

On my Win7 64bit system, SNS2.0 crashes immediately when I click the top left icon to open images. However, I can launch the program and then drag-drop multiple images from Explorer of Bridge. SNS then opens those images and processes OK.

Open dialogue has only "Align" and a new "Priority brighter". No option for denoise or deghost. Apparently both happen by default, no option to turn off deghost?

The preset panel defaults to large thumbs. I want the simple list so I don't have to scroll. But on every launch it defaults back to thumbs. Wish that was a "Sticky".

Images process much darker than under prior versions, even with same settings.

Double clicking on a setting name now returns it to zero. Thanks for that.

Clicking tabs in the right panel to go between Basic and Advanced is nice. Thanks. I hated that mouse-over method in 1.x.

Still missing the History panel from old versions. I used that a lot. Would move a slider to test results, then use History to return to prior setting.

Deghosting seems a little better, but still fails to be useable on most images where it is really needed. I have a lot of landscapes with windblown dark tree leaves and branches against a bright blue or cloudy sky. SNS 2.0 leaves many faint ghost images, or lots of noise.

But so does every other HDR program. SNS may be the best of the group, but it's like being the best sports team with a losing record. I know deghosting is a huge challenge, but we are far from having a good, reliable solution.
Redcrown

Postby Sebastian Nibisz » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:42 pm

bigsnow48 wrote:Hi Sebastian, I tried the version SNS-HDR Pro 2 and I think you're on the right way. I haven't found in the directory folder the dcraw, why? I ask because I couldn't charge the 5Ds RAWs, while in older versions was ok. I can add the dcraw folder into the new version?

The dcraw has been compiled with SNS code in this version. Now I updated the dcraw to the latest version (9.26), you download the installer SNS 2.0 again.

Joghi wrote:great to hear from You again. Can you explain what you have changed since the last Beta, despite of the sliders on the right?. You wrote something about new ghosting algorithms.

The tonemapping algorithms have been modified and the source code has been completely rewritten using more efficient libraries. SNS-HDR 2.0 is faster and uses less memory.

A new algorithm for the ghost removing was not included because I'm not happy with it. Copying areas with darker exposure strongly increases the noise.
Sebastian Nibisz
Site Admin

Postby Sebastian Nibisz » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:19 pm

Redcrown wrote:On my Win7 64bit system, SNS2.0 crashes immediately when I click the top left icon to open images.

This is a known bug in the external library, it occurs in a random time. I hope that it will be fixed in a short time.
Sebastian Nibisz
Site Admin

Postby Robert Mooring » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:40 am

Love the interface and speed, looking forward to the nr algorithm being added.

Will a batch process module be added to 2.0?

Where do I enter license to save images?

Many thanks.
Robert Mooring

Postby Redcrown » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:05 am

Some more observations on 2.0:

Overall tones are darker than with 1.x under same settings. I'm unable to find settings in 2.0 that match 1.x. Maybe that's better, maybe not. I'm not sure yet.

Shadow detail in 2.0 is less than in 1.x. If I raise shadows in 2.0 to match detail of 1.x, the effect extends too far into midtones.

V2.0 produces increased saturation over 1.x. A saturation adjustment of about -20 in 2.0 equals the default of 1.x.

The new "Priority brighter exposures" option is kind of strange. If I leave it on, results look OK. If I turn it off I see significant noise increase overall, especially in the shadows. Not sure if it's really noise. Kind of a strange pattern. We need an explanation of that new option. I can't see any reason to turn it off.

The "save" dialogue defaults to jpeg. When changed to tif, it remains tif when new images are loaded and processed. But when SNS is closed and re-launched it returns to jpeg. I'd bet most users want to save tif. Make that the default (as before).
Redcrown

Postby Fraenzken » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:05 am

The "save" dialogue defaults to jpeg. When changed to tif, it remains tif when new images are loaded and processed. But when SNS is closed and re-launched it returns to jpeg. I'd bet most users want to save tif. Make that the default (as before).

Or even better: Always take the file type last used, even after closing and re-launching.
Fraenzken

Postby Fraenzken » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:12 am

Sebastian Nibisz wrote:A new algorithm for the ghost removing was not included because I'm not happy with it. Copying areas with darker exposure strongly increases the noise.

Will you further try to improve ghosting? Or do you think it's pointless?
And will you include noise reduction in future versions?
Fraenzken

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion & Questions / Dyskusja i pytania