360° Panorama Mode

Want to talk about SNS-HDR, or do you have suggestions, requests, or how-to questions? Post here!
Chcesz porozmawiać o SNS-HDR, masz sugestię, próśbę, lub jakieś pytania? Pisz tutaj!

360° Panorama Mode

Postby Fujinon » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:38 am

Hi,

Just bought your software and find it to be a really great tool for natural results.
I (expect to) use it mainly for processing spherical images.

I was wondering what the 360° Panorama Mode adds exactly. And also, why does it need to be enabled on import, rather than just a checkbox on export?

Does it use any information that may already be contained in the metadata, or does it just add it's own?
I assume it only works on full 360 x 180° images, and not a partial projection.

I ask because when uploading to Google Photos, there is a difference between a JPG image exported directly form PTGui, and a JPG exported from SNS using a intermediate OpenEXR HDR file. Though i suspect any metadata was already lost when creating the OpenEXR.

In any case, while both enable the 360° view in the Google Photos app on a smartphone, the SNS image remains 'flat' when viewed in Google Photos through a desktop pc browser. (even though it does show the 360° icon in the top right of the thumbnail.)

Any idea about this?
Fujinon

Re: 360° Panorama Mode

Postby Sebastian Nibisz » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:59 am

The 360 ​​panorama option is dedicated to processing stitched 360 panoramas. SNS takes into account that the image is wrapped and adds meta information to the output image for panorama viewers.
Sebastian Nibisz
Site Admin

Postby Fujinon » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:40 am

Hi,

So to answer my own question. I've found the discrepancy using Metadata++.

SNS does add its own generic GPano data and does not copy existing information.

Only the ProjectionType and UsePanoramaViewer field are included:

XMP-S.png
SNS
XMP-S.png (4.97 KiB) Viewed 5585 times

PTGui includes:

XMP-PT.png
PTGui
XMP-PT.png (22.86 KiB) Viewed 5585 times

While the two included fields apparently allow a smartphone to directly enable the 360 viewer mode, Google Photos on a desktop browser appears to require more information.

Maybe the InitialView is required for desktop, maybe more, but wouldn't it be relatively simple to have SNS detect existing data and simply copy that over?

Thanks in advance!

ps.

SNS takes into account that the image is wrapped

Does that change anything in the processing of the image? I ask because it's too easy to leave the checkmark enabled when working on an image that's not 360 after having done one that is, and the other way around. But no way to change it after. It would make more sense to me to enable that on export, or through the interface itself.
Last edited by Fujinon on Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fujinon

Postby Sebastian Nibisz » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:54 am

I can copy this metadata. SNS-HDR does not copy all the metadata because there can be a lot of it, even several megabytes.
Sebastian Nibisz
Site Admin

Postby Fujinon » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:02 pm

Sebastian Nibisz wrote:I can copy this metadata.

Very nice. :D

SNS-HDR does not copy all the metadata because there can be a lot of it, even several megabytes.

It would absolutely be great to have some more control over what data is copied or not in general. But i was mainly referring to the GPano portion in this case.
Fujinon

Postby Fujinon » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:35 am

Please also note the PoseHeadingDegrees which is important for placement on a map like Google StreetView.

XMP-PT+.png
XMP-PT+.png (24.62 KiB) Viewed 5503 times

While it's also in the GPS data that appears to be copied correctly, i find that this is not enough!
Fujinon

Return to Discussion & Questions / Dyskusja i pytania