processed images are 96 dpi

Want to talk about SNS-HDR, or do you have suggestions, requests, or how-to questions? Post here!
Chcesz porozmawiać o SNS-HDR, masz sugestię, próśbę, lub jakieś pytania? Pisz tutaj!

processed images are 96 dpi

Postby Ericsimagery » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:50 pm

I noticed that after processing images, they are 96 dpi. They start out as 300 dpi.

I looked at every setting I can think of, I can't see anything that would cause this.

.jpg
3 exposures
no size reduction
Aligning Images

Best Quality

Automatic Processing
Preset is current setting

How do I fix this so that the processed image is 300 dpi?

Eric
Ericsimagery

Re: processed images are 96 dpi

Postby mak_kawa » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:26 am

I checked the DPI value of my image processed by SNS-HDR, and they are 180 DPI or 240 DPI. I don't know which software set these values (at least not me).

But I don't care about the DPI value at all, because it does not affect any image size (pixels) and/or quality.
If you want to set DPI value of your image to 300 DPI by some reason, use Photoshp (or equivalent image editing software) and Resize Image with "no resampling" option and any DPI value you want.
mak_kawa

Postby Ericsimagery » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:34 pm

I was shooting Nikon and the files went into SNS as 300 dpi and came out of SNS as 300 dpi. I switched to Sony and now the files go into SNS as 300 dpi and come out of SNS as 96 dpi. I'm not doing anything different as far as processing goes. Not sure why this is happening.
Ericsimagery

Postby mak_kawa » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:15 am

So, what is your practical problem? I am not sure.
As I already said, no matter what the DPI value, there is no problem concerning image resolution and quality.
mak_kawa

Postby Ericsimagery » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:16 pm

Does it matter when it comes to printing? These are real estate photos and brochures are printed from them.
Ericsimagery

Postby mak_kawa » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:06 am

Yes you are right. DPI value is a parameter to assign pixel data to physical scale as print size.

But...for example, my RAW file has a value of 300 DPI. This value has no specific meaning on physical scale, because the RAW image was not captured on physical scale (like scanners).
Developed JPEG file from this RAW file is 4592x3448 pixels. So, its print size in 300 DPI is calculated to 15.3 x 11.5 inches. What is this size? It is neither "recommended by camera manufacturer" nor "desired size for me".

So, maybe there are several workarounds for us, I think. Sorry if I am missing something.

1. Place the image into printing software (ex. Illustrator?) and resize it to desired size on its page.
2. Resize the image to the size and DPI to match your desired print size using image editing software (ex. Photoshop).
3. Use printing software that can fill printing frame with the image (as Lightroom Print module).
4. Request "add function to change output DPI value" or "don't change original DPI value" to SNS-HDR.

If you prefer 1 or 2 and have a large number of image to be processed, it is better to use "batch-conversion software" as XnViewMP.
mak_kawa

Postby Ericsimagery » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:48 am

Thank you!

It seems like the easy answer is for SNS to export it with the same value as the original.

I'm not sure how to request anything from SNS as I don't see anything on the website for support other than this forum?
Ericsimagery

Postby mak_kawa » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:19 am

I have confirmed that SNS-HDR changes RAW image DPI (ex. 300 -> 180 DPI) through the processing. I am not sure whether this change results from SNS-HDR image saving or LibRaw conversion.

So I, too, want to request that "SNS-HDR doesn't change original DPI value" if possible.
mak_kawa

Postby den » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:23 am

FYI... ...in lieu of a program change...

Most times we can ignore dpi tags and print the photos at any size, but sometimes publishers/editors/contests insist on a 300dpi tag to be embedded in a photo

SNS-HDR has in its Program Folder an "ExifTool.exe" Windows executable that can be used to manually update an image's or images' meta data if desired using a desktop program shortcut whose target properties have appropriate ExifTool Options.

For example, using Win10 and the requested 300 dpi:

1) In File Explorer, navigate/open to/the SNS-HDR program folder, right click on "ExifTool.exe" file and left click on "Create shortcut". This shortcut will default to the DeskTop.

2) Right click on the new shortcut and left click Properties

3) In the Properties Target box, left click after the right " mark, leave a space, and type -XResolution=300 -YResolution=300 -ResolutionUnit="inches" -overwrite_original -progress -k

Note: leave a single space in front of each - mark of the Option tag.

4) Left click Apply

5) Open a folder containing the image or images to be changed. Select an image file name or file names, then drag and drop them onto the new desktop shortcut. A progress/report window should open/progress after a few seconds indicating which files have been updated. The selected image or images should be updated to the desired 300 dpi meta data resolution without changing image pixel data and remain in the original folder.

6) To verify changes and see an image's complete meta data, change the Options in the Properties Target box to: -s -G -k

7) Left click Apply

8) drag and drop an image file name on the shortcut for a desktop window display report of the image's complete meta data

...den...

Hint: you could create two desktop shortcuts, each with the Options indicated so that you would not have to change the Options in the Properties Target box.

Caution: If you are not familiar with Command Line programming, experiment with a non-essential image file copy before proceeding with full image libraries as the " -overwrite_original" Option prevents accumulating/storing pesky back up " *.*_original" image file copies.

Have fun...
den

Postby mak_kawa » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:04 am

I offer another easy approach...to do batch conversion with free image viewer.

1.Install XnViewMP.
https://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/
2.Select target image(s).
3.Right-click -> Batch convert...
4.Actions -> Add action -> Image -> Set DPI -> (DPI value as you want).
5.Convert.
mak_kawa

Next

Return to Discussion & Questions / Dyskusja i pytania