Input files

Want to talk about SNS-HDR, or do you have suggestions, requests, or how-to questions? Post here!
Chcesz porozmawiać o SNS-HDR, masz sugestię, próśbę, lub jakieś pytania? Pisz tutaj!

Input files

Postby MikeFromAZ-USA » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:29 pm

I have a Canon 7D and typically use its RAW files as input to SNS-HDR, but I have seen some hdr software that recommend using jpgs or TIFFs as input. One went as far as to say that using jpgs as input creates a better output image (although I cannot imagine why). some questions:

1) Is there any reason for using something other than the RAW files as input? and
2) If so, what file format would be best to use as input to SNS-HDR?

My experiments have shown that if I use Dxo (my PP software) and create TIFF files and then use those as input to SNS, the results do not appear to be as good, but perhaps I should be using some other conversion software prior to SNS? Or perhaps it makes no difference? Or perhaps RAW makes the best input?

Thanks.
MikeFromAZ-USA

Re: Input files

Postby Sebastian Nibisz » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:05 pm

I recommend:
- RAW format for single exposures,
- TIFF or JPEG format for multiple exposures (ProPhoto or AdobeRGB profile).
Sebastian Nibisz
Site Admin

Re: Input files

Postby MikeFromAZ-USA » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:17 pm

Thank you for the reply.

I use SNS for multi-photo HDR. How about using dng files as input (which would allow me to use the Adobe DNG converter)? I tried that and was very pleased with the results but have not used it on many multi-image hdr groups.
MikeFromAZ-USA

Return to Discussion & Questions / Dyskusja i pytania