Suggestions for new features

Want to talk about SNS-HDR, or do you have suggestions, requests, or how-to questions? Post here!
Chcesz porozmawiać o SNS-HDR, masz sugestię, próśbę, lub jakieś pytania? Pisz tutaj!

Re: Suggestions for new features

Postby bwana » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:10 pm

adjustable deghosting?

I guess we have been waiting a while for it. I hope Sebastian is ok.

>Re: Masking for deghosting
>Postby Sebastian Nibisz » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:01 am
>
>It will be available in version 1.5

but more importantly, when do you think the next revision will be out?
bwana

Postby Trystero » Fri May 09, 2014 7:47 pm

My request are related mostly to the interface.
- Add a separate "Save as..." icon for files, because many times I click on the disk icon instead of the very little arrow at right. In this way the previously saved image is deleted and I have to re-save it with previous settings.
- Add a separate "Save as..." icon for presets, because many times I click on the disk icon instead of the very little arrow at right. In this way the previously saved preset is deleted and I have to re-save it.
- I would like to have also text menus, not only icons.
Trystero

Postby bwana » Thu May 15, 2014 1:44 pm

HDR is a compromise; this article explains my findings better
http://blog.mingthein.com/2014/04/14/hd ... mic-range/

the bottom line is this: in a colorspace/display device where the rendering options are a subset of the capture options, you have to compress tones if you want to include the whole range. evenly distributed compression is fruitless because you cannot display everything. tone mapping (unequal tonal compression based on brightness levels) results in areas of low contrast and high contrast distributed weirdly throughout the image. if i wanted to do hdr my way, i would do tone mapping based on parts of the picture- some areas of my photo would benefit from different tone mapping than other areas, even though they might have similar tone ranges. do you know of any way that might allow me to 'paint' in a certain kind of tone mapping in one part of the image and a different kind of tone mapping in another? yes i know i can make different hdr images and combine them in layers in PS and mask, but i just do not have the patience and the time to experiment so slowly. I am more of a 'dodge and burn' kind of guy. it would be nice if i could assign different tone mapping algorithms to my brush as well.
bwana

Postby hubba » Wed May 28, 2014 8:17 pm

- a proper DEGHOSTING tool... (manual and automatic)
- speed (maybe use the power of the graphic cards on top of the CPU)
- better raw support, now everything has to go thru Lightroom first...

Godspeed Sebastian!
hubba

Postby hubba » Thu May 29, 2014 3:48 am

And perhaps a port to LINUX ;-)

That would be truly fantastic!!!

Godspeed Sebastian!
hubba

Postby hubba » Thu May 29, 2014 4:02 am

bwana wrote:HDR is a compromise; this article explains my findings better
http://blog.mingthein.com/2014/04/14/hd ... mic-range/

the bottom line is this: in a colorspace/display device where the rendering options are a subset of the capture options, you have to compress tones if you want to include the whole range. evenly distributed compression is fruitless because you cannot display everything. tone mapping (unequal tonal compression based on brightness levels) results in areas of low contrast and high contrast distributed weirdly throughout the image. if i wanted to do hdr my way, i would do tone mapping based on parts of the picture- some areas of my photo would benefit from different tone mapping than other areas, even though they might have similar tone ranges. do you know of any way that might allow me to 'paint' in a certain kind of tone mapping in one part of the image and a different kind of tone mapping in another? yes i know i can make different hdr images and combine them in layers in PS and mask, but i just do not have the patience and the time to experiment so slowly. I am more of a 'dodge and burn' kind of guy. it would be nice if i could assign different tone mapping algorithms to my brush as well.

Very true bwana, it will always be some sort of compromise.
We'll just have to do the dodge and burn ourselves to get it that realistic but magic touch...
hubba

Postby Roger » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:23 am

I love SNS-HDR and use it almost exclusively. However, I was surprised to read in the second edition of Christian Bloch's HDRI Handbook that he lists it as providing automatic ghost removal and gives it two out of three stars. He reviews the Pro versions but says that the only difference from the Home version I use is batch or serial processing. But I wonder if the Home version also lacks the Pro level deghosting? I ask because this is the only area apart from CA control in which I find SNS-HDR seriously inadequate.

So just as I have to use ACR to remove chromatic aberration, I now use Photomatix to remove ghosts. This really does complicate my workflow and somewhat vitiates the delightful simplicity of SNS-HDR's controls!

Question; Is deghosting better/different in Pro/Home versions? If it is, I want to buy an upgrade!

Second question; BUT, if I do, will I later get a free upgrade to the "coming any day now" new version to replace V1.4? or should I wait?

Third question; If Home/Pro are the same w.r.t. deghosting, will the "coming any day now" version do better?
Roger

Postby dzemski » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:28 pm

Can You add a support for Olympus XZ-2 ORF files?
dzemski

Postby Sebastian Nibisz » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:32 am

dzemski wrote:Can You add a support for Olympus XZ-2 ORF files?

You download the latest version of dcraw and copy to the SNS-HDR directory.
Sebastian Nibisz
Site Admin

Postby Sebastian Nibisz » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:01 am

Roger wrote:Is deghosting better/different in Pro/Home versions?

There are no differences.

Roger wrote:BUT, if I do, will I later get a free upgrade to the "coming any day now" new version to replace V1.4? or should I wait?

The update will be free.

Roger wrote:If Home/Pro are the same w.r.t. deghosting, will the "coming any day now" version do better?

A new function of removing ghost will not be available in the first update.
Sebastian Nibisz
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion & Questions / Dyskusja i pytania