New to SNS-HDR, have a few questions

Want to talk about SNS-HDR, or do you have suggestions, requests, or how-to questions? Post here!
Chcesz porozmawiać o SNS-HDR, masz sugestię, próśbę, lub jakieś pytania? Pisz tutaj!

New to SNS-HDR, have a few questions

Postby HDR_h8r » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:49 pm

Hello, new here.
I first tried HDR years ago, probably around 2005. I've been loathing it with a passion ever since.
I've been shooting professionally for about 14 years, mostly studio work but all kinds of stuff really. Recently I discovered 'exposure fusion' and it has simply redefined photography for me. I'm still working on the techniques of capturing the kind of photos that I shoot with the equipment that I have. The most important thing is actually the post-processing. There isn't that much decent software dedicated to exposure fusion and I hear that it's a relatively new thing. Everyone seems to be busy taking fake 'HDR drawings', so 'exposure fusion' doesn't get enough headlines. I liked the sample photos produced by sns-hdr and it seems that the software has a proper interface. Interface is key because it allows adequate control over the end result. I did not install the trial version (not even sure if there is one) but before I even do that I must know a few basic facts about sns-hdr. I'm sure it's all on the main page but I don't read Polish and the automatic translation is terrible.

1. Is it true 'exposure fusion'? I can't stress this enough. The name of the software implies that it is, in fact, an HDR software. You can tell what I think of HDR by looking at my username.
2. Can the software read RAW files from the Nikon D800 camera?
3. Does it accept 16 bit TIFF files?
4. Does it output 16 bit TIFF files?
5. Does it display the preview images in a color-managed environment?
6. Does it handle and display properly image tagged with the Adobe1998 and ProPhoto colorspaces?
7. Are the output files properly tagged?
8. Is the metadata preserved? What happens to the shutter speed, aperture and ISO fields?
9. Can the software align the source images?
10. Is the interface in proper English?
11. Is there a 64-bit version?
12. Is the Pro version stable on a Win7 64-bit machine?

I'm only interested in fusing images from my D800 camera. Each photo, when loaded takes over 200mb of memory. When fusing 3, 5, 7, or 9 images, it becomes evident that a lot of memory is needed. I have a powerful machine and the virtual memory had been disabled ever since I installed Windows. The 8GB of RAM which I have right now are not enough anymore, so I'm expanding to 16GB. The virtual memory will remain disabled and all the operations will be performed in RAM. Since I'd be fusing the exposures professionally, I need stability and reasonable speeds. Can I expect that from the Pro version of SNS-HDR, even when fusing AND aligning 5, 7, 9 images? I have the Intel core i7 2600 processor and will have 16GB of fast, expensive RAM. Would be nice to hear that SNS-HDR utilizes multiple cores but I think I'm dreaming.
Thanks for reading this.
HDR_h8r

Re: New to SNS-HDR, have a few questions

Postby mgg » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:15 pm

If memory serves, one can download the Pro version, fully functional, to assess the program. The only restriction being an SNS-HDR watermark.
I'm running it on a 64bit Windows 8 machine (previously Windows 7 64bit) fully satisfactorily.
Assuming that by exposure fusion you mean the blending to a number of shots with different exposures, say -3EV to +3EV, yes, the software does that and includes an alignment function prior to blending. The Pro version will do this in batch mode.
I do strongly recommend that you try the software for yourself.
Just click on the blue 'light' above "Get SNS-HDR Pro" at top right on the Home Page: http://www.sns-hdr.com/index.html
Mike.
mgg

Postby HDR_h8r » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:33 pm

Thanks! I'm still waiting for my additional 8GB to arrive. Wouldn't try anything until I have enough RAM. I didn't really get an answer to the most important question. Can SNS-HDR do true exposure fusion? Exposure fusion is a very specific thing. I cannot begin to explain the difference between HDR and Exposure Fusion. You either know what I'm talking about or you do not. There's a million apps for doing HDR, yet only a handful that can do Exposure Fusion. Is SNS-HDR one of them? Because if it's not I don't want to waste another second of my time. I've already tried 6 or 7 programs. I don't want to install another one that will turn out to be a complete waste of time and my system's resources.
HDR_h8r

Postby Sebastian Nibisz » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:29 pm

HDR_h8r wrote:1. Is it true 'exposure fusion'? I can't stress this enough. The name of the software implies that it is, in fact, an HDR software. You can tell what I think of HDR by looking at my username.

SNS-HDR applies only exposure fusion.

HDR_h8r wrote:2. Can the software read RAW files from the Nikon D800 camera?

Yes.

HDR_h8r wrote:3. Does it accept 16 bit TIFF files?

Accept 16 bit TIF files.

HDR_h8r wrote:4. Does it output 16 bit TIFF files?

You can save image to 16 bit TIF file.

HDR_h8r wrote:5. Does it display the preview images in a color-managed environment?

Yes.

HDR_h8r wrote:6. Does it handle and display properly image tagged with the Adobe1998 and ProPhoto colorspaces?

Yes.

HDR_h8r wrote:7. Are the output files properly tagged?

Not all.

HDR_h8r wrote:8. Is the metadata preserved? What happens to the shutter speed, aperture and ISO fields?

Yes but not all metadata is copied.

HDR_h8r wrote:9. Can the software align the source images?

Yes.

HDR_h8r wrote:10. Is the interface in proper English?

Yes.

HDR_h8r wrote:11. Is there a 64-bit version?

Yes.

HDR_h8r wrote:12. Is the Pro version stable on a Win7 64-bit machine?

Yes.

HDR_h8r wrote:Since I'd be fusing the exposures professionally, I need stability and reasonable speeds.

For large images will be stable but not fast.

HDR_h8r wrote:Can I expect that from the Pro version of SNS-HDR, even when fusing AND aligning 5, 7, 9 images? I have the Intel core i7 2600 processor and will have 16GB of fast, expensive RAM.

You have enough RAM.

HDR_h8r wrote:Would be nice to hear that SNS-HDR utilizes multiple cores but I think I'm dreaming.

SNS-HDR uses all CPU cores. Version 2 will be use also GPU cores.
Sebastian Nibisz
Site Admin

Postby HDR_h8r » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:52 am

Thank you so much! Now I know that I won't be wasting my time. When is version 2 coming out? If I purchase the current version, do I get any updates for free? A discount for upgrading?
HDR_h8r

Postby Sebastian Nibisz » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:09 am

I still do not know when a new version will be released. The upgrade will be free.
Sebastian Nibisz
Site Admin

Postby HDR_h8r » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:54 pm

Just got back here to repost the question regarding the price of the upgrade but I can see you've already got that handled. I got my RAM upgraded to 16GB (just in case, really) and installed the trial version of SNS-HDR Pro. I must say that I'm impressed with pretty much every aspect of it. The end result is what matters the most and it is better by far than everything else I've tried. Sebastian, I didn't realize that you were the actual developer of the software. A long time ago I used to be a developer myself. I coded mostly in ASM32. I respect all the work you've done... A free upgrade to version 2? Say no more. I'm buying my license tomorrow.
Thank you for personally handling all my inquiries.
HDR_h8r

Return to Discussion & Questions / Dyskusja i pytania