Chromatic Aberration issue

Need help with image processing? Post here!
Potrzebujesz pomocy w obróbce obrazu? Pisz tutaj!

Chromatic Aberration issue

Postby skyml » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:49 pm

Have been using Photomatix for some time but am now getting into HDR time lapse and haven't solved the flicker issue in processing in photomatix. Just processed some HDR images using the pro ver (demo) of SNS-HDR and noticed a serious issue with cromatic aberration in my processed images that I can't seem to remove (in SNS-HDR). I know Photomatix has a way of dealing with cromatic aberration, what do I have available in SNS-HDR? :?
skyml

Re: Chromatic Aberration issue

Postby den » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:38 pm

At the moment, SNS-HDR v1.4.22.1 does not have an in-program way to reduce Chromatic Aberration [CA] but it is being considered... ...See: http://www.sns-hdr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=353

My investigations indicate that best CA reductions occur in the image RAW data during conversion. This is particularly challenging to program as a Preview display is needed so that the 'dcraw.exe -C r b' option can be optimized... ...then too this should be done for each of the images in an image set before automatic "image merge" and "tone-mapping"...

Also, the "dcraw.exe -C r b" image conversions of a multiple image set may have automatic alignment and de-ghosting challenges because of edge artifacts.

It would be far easier to program an additional 'CA reduction editing feature' for the SNS-HDR resulting image derived from a single or multiple image set... ...but the results of reducing tone-mapped/sharpened [enhanced] CA image areas would perhaps yield less satisfactory results than performing the CA reduction during RAW conversion...

For the moment when CA reduction is needed, I will use "dcraw.exe -C r b" along with other options to produce a 16bit tiff or tiffs in the case of an image set for input into SNS-HDR... ...or... when this fails, use the CA reduction feature of an external editor for the SNS-HDR input 16bit tiffs and/or on the resulting SNS-HDR image version.

If there is further interest, I would be willing to describe/illustrate how SNS-HDR's "dcraw.exe" can be used with Vista and Picture Window Pro to RAW convert with CA reduction... ...this may provide insight to using your own OS and external editor.
den

Re: Chromatic Aberration issue

Postby Whidbeypix » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:03 pm

I'm new to SNS-HDR and immediately bumped into the chromatic aberration issue. My workaround is to use DXO Optics Pro to convert from NEF to DNG, which takes care of both CR and lens distortion. The DNG files processed in SNS-HDR just fine.

Denis
Whidbeypix

Return to Help with processing / Pomoc w obróbce